Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Becoming an adult.

Here I am. 23 years old, and on "Spring Break". So many other people our age our out drinking, on road trips, and raising Cain.

But, where am I?

At home. YAY!

First of all, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change anything in my life. I love where I am at, who is here with me, how I got here, and where I can go from here.

However, I did start to ponder.

At what point did I become an adult? At what point did I become old?

Was it when I graduated? Got a real job? Pregnant? Had Lucas? Moved-in with my significant other? Bought a reliable family car? Engaged? Set a wedding date?

Well, I can't pinpoint the moment I got old. But it has happened. (Okay, and I admit, I love it for the most part!)

I was talking with my cousin/friend, Miranda, and we discussed several points:

It is possible you became an adult/got old when ........

...you start enjoy cooking.

...and cleaning.

...you don't feel the urge to decorate your house with beer memorabilia. (hmm....Marshall??)

...the fridge has more food than beer in it.

...wine comes from bottles, not boxes.

...you change more poopy diapers than alcoholic beverages consumed.

...coupons excite you! (Really,they do. I can't describe the excitement I have when an Enfamil coupon shows up in my mailbox.)

...decisions are made based upon the coupons you have.

...Wal-mart shopping becomes a challenge to see how much I can get for how little.

...you spot your child's clothes so you can "keep them in good condition for the next one", years down the road.

...every time you enter a store, whether it is Wal-mart, Walgreen, JCP, Kohls, or Alco, you go to the Baby Department.

...And LOVE every minute of it! I am so happy that I have a family to call my own.
Loves!

Okay. So that is my list! What ones do you have?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to your list, I'm an adult... And it's a little sad I'm 20 and spending my "spring break" with the boys while their ....er....perents (?) are off on a ski trip. And you're an adult when the last alcoholic beverage you consumed was (bottled) wine or champagne at a dinner requiring something other than flip flop attire.
Did you remember to mix the yogurt up first? Does Lucas love his book? Mwah, Auntie Aimee

Melanie said...

According to some of your points, I've always been an adult! Really, though, I'd say it's when I finally started thinking about others' welfare before myself.